Sunday, November 14, 2010

Fela, Art, and Activism

Last weekend I went to see the Broadway musical Fela! The performance was an amazing celebration of dance as an expression of so many varied facets of life and a historical narrative about the life of Fela Anikulapo-Kuti. I came back from the musical with many curiosities. While most were historical about the life of Fela and world historical events mentioned in the musical, I also came back with a larger philosophical question about dance and activism. What is the relationship between dance and activism?

A quick search of the word "activism" at www.dictionary.com results in the following definitions:
1) the doctrine or practice of vigorous action or involvement as a means of achieving political or other goals, sometimes by demonstrations, protests, etc. 2) a theory that the essence of reality is pure activity, esp. spiritual activity, or process 3) a theory that the relationship between the mind and the objects of perception depends upon the action of the mind

The first two definitions really resonate with my dancing, moving body. Activism's root being "active" really speaks to exactly what dance provides for the dancer. Dance can even be seen as a form or practice of "pure activity" in line with the definition of activism. As a dancer I feel the truth in that from an experiential place.
I feel the closest to this particular idea is the field of movement therapy or some forms of somatic practice where people use their own personal movement style and individuality or specific somatic techniques to better understand themselves as a whole person, strengths, weakness, and all.

My issue with that is whether this personal process of developing movement should be presented as a performance for general audiences. For the audience members, those not actively or physically participating, I question the validity of dance as a form of activism.

For me it was very apparent in the audience participation scripted into the musical. I've seen it before. Asking people to get up and act can be like pulling teeth. People are so often no longer experiencing their lives from a fully embodied place. I find general populations are far more comfortable talking and thinking than they are moving their bodies in an expressive way or moving their bodies in a way that will fulfill what they dream about or are truly passionate about. Are we as dancers still activists if we don't require a physical experience for our audience members? And if not a physical experience then must there be at least some clear, coherent, choreographed concept that may have blossomed or presented itself in our physical soul searching if we are to call our work a form of activism for our audiences?

Now I have to admit. I have my own personal value system and background when it comes to discussing the role of dance as activism within society. The connection for me between activism and dance is an intimate one. It is no coincidence for me that "movement" is a term we use to describe the format through which activists convey their message (ex. political movement.) But in terms of my personal bias, I don't often find dance for dance's sake an activist event for audiences. I gravitate toward making dances that examine some quality, phenomena, or oddity of the human experience or our current society/culture. I avoid making work that is solely about the movement itself. In the play Kevin Mambo (playing Fela) explains Fela's journey from wanting to make good music that can really move the audience to wanting to make good music that not only moves the audience but also expresses the sociopolitical dilemma's of Africa at the time.

I have heard dance professors suggest that dancers not choreograph unless they have something to "say" with that work. And I have to admit I can feel a bit annoyed when I attend a dance performance where dancers are truly enjoying performing the movement but not at all conveying some coherent concept that really speaks to a specific phenomena occurring within human experience. While I am well aware of my own proclivities, I certainly do not hold others to my own value system and am curious to hear thoughts from others or any arguments that support dance for dance's sake as an activist event for audience members.

No comments:

Post a Comment